This recipe is a Creamy Tofu Pasta Sauce, with Garlic, Zucchini, Spinach & Tomato. It is a fast, easy vegan dairy-free cream sauce that is high protein, healthy, and low fat because, like all my recipes, it is delicious without oil.
This fast tofu pasta sauce dinner only takes 30 minutes to make.
Use soft silken tofu to make a creamy, tomato and zucchini pasta sauce for dinner that is oil free and nut free.Jump to Recipe
If you like garlic, tomatoes and creamy sauces you will like this simple pasta dish. It is an easy and quick vegan recipe for beginners and experienced cooks alike.
This tofu pasta sauce has a flavour that is fantastic, and works with vegetables other than zucchini too.
Add spinach in the last step for a true vegan experience. Don’t forget the lemon!
Is Traditional White Cream Sauce Fattening?
Did you know? Making a tofu pasta cream sauce from 600 g silken tofu instead of the equal 2 1/2 cups dairy Half & Half cream (considered low-fat cream) reduces calories from 787.5 to 270 calories.
Using soft tofu in your pasta sauce instead of half and half cream reduces fat from 69.5 grams to 15 grams.
And, if you made a white sauce with flour, skim milk and 4 Tbsp of butter you are getting even more fat – 2.5 cups of that sauce would be 905 calories and 65 g of fat.
So, stick with us healthy vegans here, and choose to keep your blood flowing to your brain without blockages.
Choose 15 grams of fat in this low fat, healthy tofu pasta sauce recipe without oil, vs. 65 grams of fat with traditional pasta sauces.
So, YES, dairy white sauce is fattening.
Plus, tofu is cholesterol free, dairy is full of cholesterol.
You can make this fast dinner recipe in the time it takes you to boil the pasta.
Pre-chop your vegetables and add them to a large pot. Add the tomato paste and stir.
Stir the tofu pasta cream sauce until completely combined.
Add spinach and stir to melt it into the pasta just before serving.
You don’t need to cook the spinach longer than a few minutes.
While this vegan tofu pasta sauce recipe has no oil and is low-fat it will fill you up quite quickly. It has a good amount of protein, and is full of nutrition that you need to be healthy.
It is a creamy, light, and delicious, dairy-free tofu pasta sauce dish, that is very satisfying, and nutritious, definitely a great vegan meal. 🙂
Creamy Tofu Pasta Sauce with Garlic, Zucchini, Spinach & Tomato
Ingredients & Tips
- 13.5 ounces whole wheat penne pasta 375 g whole grain, or other short cut pasta
- 8 zucchini small, cubed - a bagful from Costco
- 5 garlic cloves - medium, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt 5 mL
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper diced, or 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste 60 mL or 1 small can
- 28 ounces can diced tomatoes 796 mL large can, with juice
- 22 ounces silken tofu soft, 2 packages, amazon.com
- 6 cups baby spinach 180 g fresh and packed, 1 bag
- 1 lemon 2 Tbsp juice or more, freshly squeezed
- Assemble your ingredients, open cans so you can add ingredients easily, this dish comes together very quickly.
- Put on a medium pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Cook the pasta according to package directions while you make the veggies and sauce.
- Cube the zucchini. Mince the garlic cloves.
- Heat a large pot to medium heat, add the cubed zucchini, garlic, and salt, and stir. Moisture will come out of the zucchini - it shouldn't burn. If it gets dry add water a tablespoon at a time to moisten.
- Slice the red pepper, and dice the jalapeño, if using. Remove the seeds if you don’t like things too spicy!
- Once the zucchini has slightly softened, add the peppers. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables. Your pasta should be almost done.
- Stir in the undrained diced tomatoes.
- Blend the silken (soft) tofu in a small blender until it looks like sour cream, and stir into the vegetables.
Combine and Add Spinach
- Drain the pasta and add the hot pasta to the vegetables and sauce.Taste for salt, add more if required.
- Once bubbling, turn off heat, stir in spinach leaves just so they wilt, and serve.
Squeeze liberal amounts of fresh lemon juice on each serving.
Inspired by: http://funnyloveblog.com/2013/02/18/pasta-with-zucchini-and-tomato-cream-sauce/