This healthy tofu Pad Thai is a low-fat recipe ready in 20 minutes.
Use your own Pad Thai seasonings/sauce, or visit this Epicure website to buy the delicious Pad Thai mix that I used, and bookmark this recipe for later.
I also show you how to make an easy tasty homemade Sriracha sauce from an Epicure spices mix.
This recipe shows you how to make an oil free vegan Pad Thai with Tofu and Noodles.
All VeganEnvy recipes are whole foods plant based, oil free, fat-free and exceptionally healthy! I follow the Forks Over Knives recommendations for disease prevention through diet.Jump to Recipe
My kids asked if a couple of their friends could stay for dinner. That is pretty normal at our house.
I said, “We are having vegan Pad Thai – it’s noodles, tofu and vegetables, do they like that?”
The friends said, “never had it, but sounds GOOD!”
I agree, Pad Thai is good! A mild, slightly sweet comforting noodle dish with garlic and citrus flavours.
I love feeding children vegan food,
especially kids from non-vegan families. They all seem to love tofu, and whole grain carbs, and most like plain vegetables too.
Kids are very open-minded to eating simple vegan food, they see my kids, my husband and I like it, and they join in – especially when their parents aren’t around.
I always test my recipes on children. If they like it, I know I have a winner.
Epicure Pad Thai Spice Mix
I grabbed a package of vegan Pad Thai spice mix from Epicure, because it is a fast, healthy, high quality way to pull a tofu dish together.
It is spices only – no preservatives, fish, oils or additives.
I have used Canadian Epicure products for over 15 years – they are fantastic and I am an Epicure consultant.
Epicure is a great company for vegans. Unfortunately their products are only available in Canada.
Carrots, broccoli, green pepper and noodles,
This should take about 20 minutes to pull together.
I got started washing and chopping my vegetables, I really take pleasure in cutting them in ways that make them look appealing.
Matchstick carrots, small broccoli, evenly cut green peppers. Makes them cook uniformly as well.
I learned cutting techniques in the Forks Over Knives Cooking Course.
Mix Up the Sauce
While the vegetables were stir frying, I mixed up the Pad Thai spices with water and soy sauce.
This Epicure spice mix is:
- sweet and tangy with an authentic Thai taste, and has
- tamarind, garlic and cilantro for true Southeast Asian flavours.
Once the vegetables were tender, but still with a bit of a crunch, they were done.
I added the cubes of tofu and stirred them in.
Then I added the sauce.
I was very careful not to put the noodles in the boiling water until just before the vegetables were done, because the noodles truly only take 5 minutes to cook.
I rinsed the brown rice noodles with cold water to remove extra starch, and added them to the wok.
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE to VeganEnvy.com on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
Get FREE healthy vegan information and recipes!
I will work on a Vegan Pad Thai sauce recipe, from scratch
Until I write that recipe, if you are in Canada, please feel free to buy this healthy, oil free, vegan Pad Thai mix from my Epicure website.
The Epicure company is on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada and cannot sell to other countries yet.
I hope you can use this recipe to create your own vegan Pad Thai – with a sauce that you have! 🙂
JOIN the VeganEnvy.com Community
People Exploring Plant Based Eating
Epicure Healthy Tofu Pad Thai - 20 minutes
Instructions and Ingredients
Pad Thai Seasoning
- 1 package Epicure Pad Thai Seasoning Pack or store bought pad thai sauce, sorry I haven't invented my own seasonings yet! Suggest how in the comments!
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
Vegetables and Tofu
- 1 green pepper thinly sliced
- 3 cups carrots in matchsticks
- 4 broccoli crowns, about 8 cups chopped
- 16 oz tofu 454g, medium, cubed
- 12.35 oz extra firm tofu 350g, extra firm, cubed
- 19.75 oz brown rice noodles 8 cakes, 560 g
- 2 tbsp lime juiced, about 1 lime
- 2 tbsp peanuts chopped
Epicure Sriracha Sauce
- 2 tbsp Epicure sriracha mix
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
Prepare Pad Thai Sauce - 3 minutes
- Stir the pad thai seasoning mix with 3/4 cup (180 mL) hot water and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce.
Prepare Vegetables - 10 minutes
- On medium heat, stir fry green peppers and carrots for 3 - 4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup or less of water if they start to stick. Cover to speed cooking time.
- Add broccoli and cover, cook for 7 more minutes, stir frequently, until tender, but still bright green and slightly crunchy.
- Add medium cubed tofu and stir in so that it crumbles like scrambled eggs.
- Add extra firm cubed tofu and gently combine so that it stays in cubes.
Prepare Rice Noodles - 5 minutes
- In a large pot boil water for noodles.
- Once the vegetables are almost done, add 12 ramen cakes to boiling water per cake Try for 2 cups of water per cake. When noodles begin to unfold, after about 1 minute, separate gently with a fork and reduce heat to a low boil. Continue to cook for 3 minutes or until the noodles are just soft.
- Strain through a colander, and rinse with cold water.
Combine and Serve
- Add cooked rice noodles to the vegetables with the prepared sauce, tossing to heat through.
- Serve immediately, with freshly squeezed lime juice, sriracha sauce, and chopped peanuts.
What's Special About VeganEnvy Recipes?
VeganEnvy recipes are easy, low-fat, whole-foods, plant-based and nutrition rich. Real food my family eats, and techniques we use to cook.
- less than 25% calories from fat, and no added oils (why no-oil cooking?)
- whole-foods instead of processed foods (why switch to whole-foods? Our journey 🙂)
- whole grains (how to choose healthy grains)
- low or no sugar
- high fibre (cure IBS and digestive issues)
- high nutrient plants, including fruit, greens, beans, legumes, soy, spices, seeds and nuts.
- no animal products, dairy-free (you don't need meat for muscle)
- no tricks (I am not going to say a recipe is healthy if it isn't).
I choose ingredients that are proven to prevent and reverse disease, based on scientific studies, such as those reviewed on nutritionfacts.org and findings published by whole-foods plant-based (WFPB) experts featured in the Forks Over Knives (FOK) and What the Health documentaries FOK trailer.
Eating VeganEnvy recipes will make you lose weight, look better, feel better and live longer. PLUS spend your money to cruelty free food systems, cut your environmental impact, and likely increase your compassion for, and awareness of, lives other than your own.
Adding Healthy Plant Based Meals to Your Menu is Easy!
Help others learn – share on social media!