Colorful sweet potatoes, maple flavoured chipotle chickpeas, earthy mushrooms, vibrant greens, creamy avocado and a fiery vegan mayo makes for a spicy and healthful vegan meal. Use tofu cubes instead of chickpeas, for an equally spicy protein option.Jump to Fiery Maple Sweet Potato Vegan Bowls Recipe
Jump to Fiery Vegan Mayo Recipe
How to make a colourful vegan sweet potato bowl
Start by putting peeled sweet potatoes on to boil.
I recommend you cut them in half, to speed cooking time – I didn’t, and they were a little undercooked.
Second, prepare your mushrooms – dried or fresh.
You can use dried mushrooms, or fresh. I like to have dried mushrooms in my pantry, they don’t spoil, and I always have some on hand.
Dried mushrooms are so amazingly excellent for flavoring soups.
They tasted great rehydrated in this recipe as well, a bit chewier than fresh though. The broth you get from rehydrating mushrooms is so flavorful, save it if you can!
I bought this huge container of gourmet dried mushrooms from Costco, and followed the instructions for rehydrating, first in hot water, then boiling. I used the microwave, thinking it would be faster and easier. If you use a microwave too, be careful the water doesn’t boil over. Next time, I think I will use a pot on the stove instead, so I can boil the mushrooms longer and make them less chewy.
If you are using fresh mushrooms,
See the recipe notes for instructions.
Saute them, with some diced white onions if you have any, in a large skillet. Remove to a separate dish and use the same skillet for the chickpeas and/or tofu.
Third, make the chickpeas and tofu.
Either / both taste excellent in this recipe, separately or together.
Chop some green onions, add to a large skillet with soy sauce and fresh ground black pepper and add the drained chickpeas or tofu.
Add in the spices, and mushroom broth. This is where you might use tofu instead.
Here, I am making chickpeas for my husband and I, and plain tofu for the kids – because one of my daughters doesn’t like chickpeas (we think she is crazy for this, but love her anyways).
These spices are going to fire it up whether you use chickpeas, tofu, or both.
While my chickpeas saute, I heated up the kids tofu for 3 – 4 minutes in the pot of boiling water for the sweet potatoes.
I could also have done this in the mushroom water, didn’t think of that until later, that would be even better, yum!
First, reserve about 5 cubes of cold tofu for the Fiery Vegan Mayo Sauce, throw them in a small blender instead of the boiling water.
Prepare the fiery vegan mayo sauce.
With tofu, cashews, a touch of lemon juice, chipotle powder or hot sauce, smoked paprika, soy sauce and some non-dairy unsweetened milk.
I use soy milk, cause it’s my fave.
Lastly put the bowls together!
First set down a bed of energy boosting greens, like baby spinach. I used romaine lettuce for my girls.
Then, create rows of the vibrant orange sweet potatoes, spicy maple chickpeas and/or tofu, dark flavourful mushrooms, bright green sliced avocados and drizzle generously with the fiery creamy sauce.
It’s a fat free sauce after all, and so spicy good, use a generous amount!
Each color in the bowl, provides different antioxidants that you need.
With a vegan bowl recipe like this, eating a rainbow of foods is easy and you are going to feel great after this medly of nutritious foods.
A spicy, sweet, beautiful bowl of taste, and health!
Fiery Maple Sweet Potato Chickpea / Tofu Bowl
Instructions and Ingredients
- 3 sweet potatoes medium, peeled and boiled
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp green onions diced, about 4
- 1/2 tsp black pepper fresh ground
- 3 cups mushrooms dried or fresh, shiitake, portabella
- 350 g extra firm tofu or skip and double the chickpeas
- 540 ml chickpeas drained, or skip and double the tofu
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder smoked jalapeno powder, or hot sauce
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 8 cups spinach or other dark greens
- Put a pot of water on to boil. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut in half (to speed cooking time). Add to the boiling water. They should take about 10 - 15 minutes to cook. Test with a fork and when soft, remove them to a cutting board, slice into rounds just before adding to bowls.
Dried Mushrooms (Fresh Mushrooms? - see recipe notes for instructions)
- Follow instructions for re-hydrating the dried mushrooms. I use the microwave. Add mushrooms to the bowls when you plate them. No need to saute dried mushrooms, they are flavourful on their own. Use the broth to cook the tofu / chickpeas. Reserve extra delicious broth for future cooking.
Chickpeas / Tofu
- While the sweet potatoes cook, drain the chickpeas / cube the tofu.Reserve some tofu cubes for the sauce.
- Add green onions, soy sauce, and fresh pepper to a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add chickpeas / tofu, paprika, chipotle powder, and cumin, and stir to combine. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes, stir and flip. Add 1/4 cup mushroom broth to keep from sticking and add flavour.
- Add maple syrup. Stir and flip tofu cubes until the liquid is gone. Turn off heat.
Build the Bowls and Serve!
- Place a bed of spinach in each bowl, make rows of sweet potato, sliced avocado, chickpeas / tofu and mushrooms and generously drizzle with Fiery Vegan Mayo sauce.
Fiery Vegan Mayo Sauce
Instructions and Ingredients
- Add tofu, soy milk, lemon juice, cashews, soy sauce or tamari, chipotle powder or hot sauce, smoked paprika, and onion powder to a small high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth. Drizzle generously over bowls before serving.
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE to VeganEnvy.com on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
Get FREE healthy vegan information and recipes!
JOIN the VeganEnvy.com Community
People Exploring Plant Based Eating
Adding Healthy Plant Based Meals to Your Menu is Easy!
Help others learn – share on social media!