Fast Vegan Microwave Gravy – Fat-free
Being able to make a quick healthy vegan gravy will expand your plant-based cooking options. Not only is it delicious, but gravy can serve as the protein for your meal.
Look how much iron is in one serving of this gravy, and it contains 28% of your daily protein needs too, with zero fat and cholesterol.
This smooth, brown, thick gravy reminds us of Thanksgiving dinners and stuffing, and good times at family gatherings. It is the perfect traditional brown gravy colour and has savoury flavour.
JOIN the VeganEnvy.com Community
People Exploring Plant Based Eating
Fat-free Vegan Lentil Gravy in 10 minutes
I like to blend most of the lentils into this vegan gravy, and serve the rest of the lentils whole on the plate, or stirred into the gravy so people see they are getting legumes too. If you are using this gravy as the protein of your meal, one 540ml can of lentils for every 2 people should ensure there is enough gravy and lentils for everyone. This gravy recipe is also the sauce for my Green Bean Casserole, a classic and very tasty Thanksgiving type side dish.
Ingredients & Tips
- 1.5 cups water room temperature
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch or flour
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning Adjust the seasonings to your taste. This amount makes for a mild flavour.
- 1/2 tsp salt Adjust to taste
- 1/4 tsp onion powder optional, omit to make low FODMAP for IBS diets
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 38 fl oz canned lentils 2 medium cans, drained and rinsed
- Add water to a 5 cup or larger microwave safe bowl that is large enough to handle a hand blender. I use a glass Pampered Chef 4 cup batter bowl because it has a rim to prevent boil-overs, a lid for storing, and a spout.
- Whisk in the cornstarch, poultry seasoning, salt, optional onion powder, optional nutritional yeast, and pepper so there are no lumps in the water.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, whisk to combine well, microwave for 2 more minutes, whisk. Your gravy should be fairly thick at this point. Microwave longer if it isn't yet in one minute increments. Microwave power varies.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cans (770ml) of the drained lentils, reserve 1/2 can of lentils. Blend with a hand blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- If you have a large enough bowl, stir half of the set-aside lentils right into the gravy. I like to reserve some plain lentils for anyone (small daughter!) who declines gravy, so they can still have lentils.
- Microwave 1 minute, stir and test the temperature.
- Add gravy to a gravy boat, and serve hot. Spoon reserved lentils on or beside the mashed potatoes, people can pour gravy over top.
More Healthy Vegan Recipes
Learn About the VeganEnvy Diet
Adding Healthy Plant Based Meals to Your Menu is Easy!
Help others learn – share on social media!