Simple Vegan Gluten-free Peanut Butter Cookies with Oat flour
These easy, seven ingredient, peanut butter cookies are both chewy and crispy, and melt in your mouth with a burst of real peanut flavour and sweetness. With natural peanut butter, and make-it-yourself oat flour, they are egg-free, smooth, chewy, and gluten-free.
When I put these out for snacking, people ask for the recipe. They are that good.Jump to Recipe
Coconut sugar is darker than golden brown sugar, and is what gives these cookies a beautiful deep colour.
Use natural peanut butter for the best flavour,
I’m talking about peanut butter where the ingredients are… peanuts. With nothing else. Are you into that yet?
Consider getting hippie, and more healthy, about your peanut butter, if you haven’t already!
Natural peanut butter may seem strange to some, because the oil separates. My post about how to open, stir, store, and why processed nut butters are BAD for us: How to Use Natural Peanut Butter may urge you to go natural with your peanut butter.
Did you know that an extra daily snack of nuts didn’t make people gain weight?
Don’t be afraid to eat nuts daily. In fact, eating an extra handful or two of nuts a day made people lose weight!
Read my post about the weight loss trick: Eating Nuts Daily Did Not Cause Weight Gain – It Caused Weight Loss and you will want to make and eat these peanut butter cookies even more!
Use room temperature peanut butter if you can.
I have made these with fridge peanut butter, and that is totally doable, but what worked really well was using a new small jar of natural peanut butter out of the cupboard. I used the entire jar (double batch), and it was so easy to stir soft peanut butter into the sugar and flour.
You could also microwave your peanut butter if you use a glass or plastic mixing bowl.
Nut based cookies are an awesome snack.
So portable, chewy, yummy and easy. Cookies are great to have around the house for after school, or after supper.
I have to admit, there is a lot of sugar in those cookies – because of that, we should consider them a sometimes treat, not a daily source of energy.
But, that said, I eat these peanut butter cookies when I make them, usually two to three cookies a day, and I consider them my nuts for that day. They did not make me gain weight either!
Eat one or two of these cookies, and feel your cravings disappear for a couple of hours! 🙂
Irresistible Peanut Butter Cookies
Instructions and Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use baking sheet(s).
- In a high speed blender, blend quick cooking oats to make oat flour. Approx. 1 1/4 cup of oats will give a heaping cup of oat flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the vanilla, peanut butter, and sugar. Use room temperature peanut butter if possible, or microwave slightly for easier stirring. Coconut sugar made these cookies have an excellent toasted flavour.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (oat flour, baking soda, and salt).
- While stirring the peanut butter mixture, add the oat flour mixture. Add in the non-dairy milk or water and continue to stir until combined.
- Roll the dough into balls (about 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons per cookie), drop on baking sheet, and flatten with a fork one way and then the other to create a crisscross pattern. With natural peanut butter, I did not need to spray my baking sheets. The cookies don't stick.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until just starting to turn golden on edges (they bake FAST so watch them carefully). The cookies expand and flatten out slightly while they are cooking.
- Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight plastic container to keep the cookies soft and chewy.