Vegan Lentil and Brown Rice Soup With Tomatoes and Zucchini
Brown rice and lentils make for a chewy and filling base in this delicious soup, without any of the cholesterol or fat that meat has, and plant power means no acid reflux or indigestion either.
The tomatoes, basil, oregano, and thyme will fill your kitchen with comforting and inviting aromas. If you don’t have zucchini, carrots also work well.
This vegan lentil rice soup is so easy to make, with only a single pot to clean up, yet looks and tastes complex and divine.
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE to VeganEnvy.com on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
Get FREE healthy vegan information and recipes!
Lovely Lentil and Brown Rice Soup
Instructions and Ingredients
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 1 cup brown long grain rice long grain tends to have a faster cooking time than short grain
- 796 ml can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 onion large, chopped
- 1 celery stalk large, diced
- 3 garlic cloves medium, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups zucchini sliced in half circles, 3 small to medium
- fresh ground black pepper
- Add vegetable broth and water to a large soup pot on medium high heat.
- Add ingredients in order listed: lentils, brown rice, undrained can of diced tomatoes, chopped onion, diced celery stalk, minced garlic cloves, basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, salt and zucchini.Reducing heat to medium once bubbling.
- Once all ingredients are added, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 more minutes or until the lentils and rice are both tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- If necessary, thin the soup with additional hot broth or water or ice cubes when serving.Serve with fresh ground black pepper, salt to taste, and optionally whole grain crackers.
JOIN the VeganEnvy.com Community
People Exploring Plant Based Eating
What's Special About VeganEnvy Recipes?
VeganEnvy recipes are easy, low-fat, whole-foods, plant-based and nutrition rich. Real food my family eats, and techniques we use to cook.
- less than 25% calories from fat, and no added oils (why no-oil cooking?)
- whole-foods instead of processed foods (why switch to whole-foods? Our journey 🙂)
- whole grains (how to choose healthy grains)
- low or no sugar
- high fibre (cure IBS and digestive issues)
- high nutrient plants, including fruit, greens, beans, legumes, soy, spices, seeds and nuts.
- no animal products, dairy-free (you don't need meat for muscle)
- no tricks (I am not going to say a recipe is healthy if it isn't).
I choose ingredients that are proven to prevent and reverse disease, based on scientific studies, such as those reviewed on nutritionfacts.org and findings published by whole-foods plant-based (WFPB) experts featured in the Forks Over Knives (FOK) and What the Health documentaries FOK trailer.
Eating VeganEnvy recipes will make you lose weight, look better, feel better and live longer. PLUS spend your money to cruelty free food systems, cut your environmental impact, and likely increase your compassion for, and awareness of, lives other than your own.
Adding Healthy Plant Based Meals to Your Menu is Easy!
Help others learn – share on social media!