Healthy Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp – gluten-free, low FODMAP – With Oats and Pecans
Our family loves fruit crisps and fruit crumbles, they are naturally vegan, and here is a method to make rhubarb crumble, with no-added-fats, but healthy nuts instead.
Mmmm mmm! In this easy recipe, I used rhubarb and strawberries on the bottom, quick cooking oats and ground pecan nuts on top, with no-butter, no-oil. The topping is crispy, not soggy, and the ground up nuts make it healthier, while adding flavour, depth and fibre!
So delicious with the warm, juicy, soft, sweetened fruit, slightly spiced, and the crispy oat topping.
Lemon juice makes the topping stay together, and adds a wonderful delicious zing. I was worried that lemon wouldn’t work with rhubarb, since rhubarb is sour, but the lemon/light sugar mix in the topping tastes soooo good! It’s like rhubarb lemonade!
You can use a food processor or blender to mix the oats, lemon, nuts and sugar together to make a crumbly, crispy, tasty rhubarb strawberry fruit gluten free crisp topping.
This recipe has garam masala spice in the rhubarb, it’s lovely. Allspice also works. Or just cinnamon and nutmeg would too.
Why garam masala with the strawberry and rhubarb? Typical garam masala contains cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cumin, coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. These spices complement rhubarb, with a warmth that is still welcome on a summer day. Also, according to my research, the taste of strawberries is enhanced with pepper. Ok, great!
I hope you enjoy your rhubarb in this delicious healthy dessert or satisfying snack! It’s easy to make a homemade strawberry rhubarb crisp that is gluten-free, plant based, vegan, healthy, and low fodmap (see IBS notes below)!
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE to VeganEnvy.com on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
Get FREE healthy vegan information and recipes!
Healthy Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp/ Crumble, Gluten-free, Low FODMAP, Vegan, Dessert
- 9 x 13 Uncovered Baking Dish
- Food Processor
Instructions and Ingredients
For the Fruit Filling:
- 7 cups rhubarb diced
- 3 cups strawberries frozen or fresh, sliced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala spice mix (or allspice, or cinnamon and nutmeg)
- 1/4 cup sugar or dry sweetener of your choice: white sugar also works well.
For the Crumble Topping:
- 3 cups rolled oats quick cooking
- 1/3 cup brown sugar I use brown sugar in the topping for the color.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh or bottled, or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F
Prepare the Fruit Filling
- Wash and dice rhubarb into evenly sized , 1/2 inch (1.5cm) approx slices. Wash and slice strawberries.
- Place fruit into a 9x13 ungreased baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch, filling spices (garam masala or your substitute), and sugar until well combined and lump free. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit.
Prepare the Oat Crumble Topping
- In a food processor, on high speed, blend oats, spices, sugar, pecans and salt. Once the nuts are finely ground, while processing on medium, slowly add the lemon juice to make the mixture crumbly. Do not over process, or the mixture will form into balls/ be too mushy.
- Sprinkle oat topping crumble over the fruit. Use a spoon to break up chunks first.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. The crisp is done when the fruit is bubbling and the topping is light brown in the center. You can opt to brown the top by broiling on low for 3 minutes, I didn't.
Adding Healthy Plant Based Meals to Your Menu is Easy!
Help others learn – share on social media!