Healthy Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp – gluten-free, low FODMAP – With Oats and Optional Pecans
Our family loves fruit crisps and fruit crumbles, they are naturally vegan, and here is a method to make rhubarb crumble, with no-added-fats, with a nice crunchy topping.
Mmmm mmm! In this easy recipe, I used rhubarb and strawberries on the bottom, quick cooking oats and optionally ground pecan nuts on top, with no-butter, no-oil. The topping is crispy, not soggy, and if you add them, the ground up nuts make it healthier, while adding flavour, depth and fibre!
So delicious with the warm, juicy, soft, slightly sweetened fruit and crispy oat topping.
Lemon juice makes the topping stay together, and adds a wonderful delicious zing. I was worried that lemon wouldn’t work with rhubarb, since rhubarb is sour, but the lemon/light sugar mix in the topping tastes soooo good!
It’s like rhubarb lemonade!
Optionally use a food processor or blender to mix the oats, lemon, nuts and sugar together to make a crumbly, crispy, tasty rhubarb strawberry fruit gluten free crisp topping.
Or, for a stirring by hand method, that is easy to clean up, omit the nuts and mix all the ingredients in bowls, no food processor required.
Either way, I can have this crisp ready for the oven in 20 minutes.
I used to add allspice or cinnamon, and salt, but my family told me they prefer the flavours of the rhubarb and strawberries au natural.
After making it a few times without spice, I agree! It’s better plain.
I hope you enjoy the rhubarb in this delicious healthy dessert or satisfying snack!
It’s easy to make a homemade strawberry rhubarb crisp that is gluten-free, plant based, vegan, healthy, and low fodmap (rhubarb and strawberries don’t bother people with IBS as much as some other fruits)!
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE to VeganEnvy.com on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
Get FREE healthy vegan information and recipes!
Healthy Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp/ Crumble, Gluten-free, Low FODMAP, Vegan, Dessert
- 9 x 13 Uncovered Baking Dish
- Food Processor
Instructions and Ingredients
For the Fruit Filling:
- 7 cups rhubarb diced
- 3 cups strawberries frozen or fresh, sliced
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar or dry sweetener of your choice
For the Crumble Topping:
- 3 cups rolled oats quick cooking
- 1/3 cup brown sugar I use brown sugar in the topping for the color.
- 1 1/4 cup pecans optional
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed or bottled, or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F
Prepare the Fruit Filling
- Wash and dice rhubarb into evenly sized , 1/2 inch (1.5cm) approx pieces. Wash and slice strawberries.
- Place fruit into a 9x13 ungreased baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch and sugar until well combined and lump free. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit with a spoon.
Prepare the Oat Crumble Topping
- If using nuts: In a food processor, on high speed, blend oats, sugar, and optional pecans. Once the nuts are finely ground, while processing on medium, slowly add the lemon juice to make the mixture crumbly. Do not over process, or the mixture will form into balls/ be too mushy.
- For nut free version: combine oats, sugar, and juice in a medium bowl with a spoon.
- Taste test for sweetness and add more sugar if desired.
- Sprinkle oat topping crumble over the fruit. Use a spoon to break up any chunks first.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes. The crisp is done when the fruit is bubbling and the topping is medium brown in the center.
Adding Healthy Plant Based Meals to Your Menu is Easy!
Help others learn – share on social media!